3 Guyanese young women act as President, PM, Canadian High Commissioner for a day

first_imgInternational Day of the Girl ChildAs women across the world celebrate International Day of the Girl Child tomorrow, three Guyanese young women – Renuka Persaud, Delicia George and Sara Mohan – were selected to hold the post of President, Prime Minister and Canadian High Commissioner for one day.Held under the 2018 theme, “With Her: A Skilled Girl Force”, the Day of the Girl Child marks the beginning of a year-long effort to help girls attain skills for employability, through a campaign that will bring together advocates and supporters to highlight the most pressing needs and to identify opportunities forFrom left: Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo; Prime Minister for the day, Delicia George; Canadian High Commissioner for the day, Sara Mohan; Canadian High Commissioner to Guyana, Lilian Chatterjee; President for the day, Renuka Persaud and President David Grangerinvestment.According to Canadian Ambassador to Guyana, Lilian Chatterjee, “A day of the girl child” which is spearheaded by Canada, is to remind us of the barriers placed in the path of girls which prevent them from fulfilling their potential.“In 2016, the successful candidate was named High Commissioner for a day. Last year, I asked PM (Moses) Nagamootoo to join PM Trudeau to give up his seat for a day so last year we had a PM for a day and High Commissioner for a day. Based on its success, this year, we broadened the competition with President Granger hosting a President for a day in addition to the PM for a day and High Commissioner for a day,” Chatterjee explained in an interview with Guyana Times.Further she noted that the day is set aside to focus its attention on the challenges girls face, and promotes girls’ empowerment and fulfillment of their human rights.In Guyana, the Canadian High Commission has marked this day with a competition for young women, inviting them to send videos telling us why this day is important.Meanwhile, during a courtesy call at Cabinet on Tuesday morning, where both President Granger and Prime Minister Nagamootoo gave up their seats, President for the day, 18-year-old, Renuka Persaud said observing International Day of the Girl Child, in her opinion, means raising awareness both locally and internationally about the human rights of girls. Women and girls, she said, play an integral role inFirst Lady Sandra Granger is a meeting with the President of the day, Renuka Persaud; Prime Minister of the day, Delicia George; and Canadian High Commissioner of the day, Sara Mohan at State House. Also in photo is Canadian High Commissioner to Guyana, Lilian Chatterjeesociety and it is imperative that their rights be respected.“It is an incredible opportunity to be here today, sitting in the President’s seat as the President of the day. It is a really great opportunity to have a girl in this position to speak for our own rights because that is what International Day of the Girl Child is about. [It is] about giving girls the opportunity to speak for themselves and to have their say,” Persaud said in an interview with the Public Affairs Department of the Ministry of the Presidency.Persaud recently graduated from Queen’s College. She plans on continuing her education in the ICT sector in order to pursue a career in programming and software engineering. In addition to programming, she also likes to paint, read and animate (like in her Day of the Girl video submission) in her spare time.Meanwhile, Delicia George, Prime Minister for a day, is 20 years old and a student at the University of Guyana. She enjoys dancing and swimming but spends most of her time volunteering with different youth groups. She aspires to be a lawyer.The Prime Minister for the day, George, in her presentation, urged women to “break glass ceilings” and to pursue initiatives which can help them to become better individuals and positive contributors to society.Canadian High Commissioner for a day, Sara Mohan, is 20 years old. She attended St Joseph High School and has an Associate’s Degree in humanities. She aspires to be a diplomat.Mohan used the opportunity to call for more action, rather than lip service, to conquer gender inequality and violence against women and girls.The trio were also given the opportunity to share their experiences thus far and all concluded that “it is indeed hard work” serving as President, Prime Minister and Canadian High Commissioner.Following the courtesy call at Cabinet, the young women met with First Lady Sandra Granger at State House, where they discussed several areas of mutual interest, including Robotics, Information and Communication Technology, Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) and women and girls’ empowerment.First Lady Sandra Granger praised the initiative as she noted that “it allows our girls to dream as big as they want to.”While this is the second year the Canadian High Commission has partnered with the Government of Guyana to afford girls such opportunities, this is the first year that there has been a ‘President for the day’.As part of the activities, each of the young women was given a tour of their respective offices and Parliament Buildings. They were also treated to tea with the Speaker of the National Assembly, Dr Barton Scotland.last_img read more

Sorensen mulling over BYU offer

first_img Roxann?s statements contradict a story from TotalBlueSports.com that said Sorensen had received an offer from BYU and was going to commit to the Cougars on Wednesday. Both were true at the time, but the star defensive back has since had a change of heart. Sorensen, after speaking to Colton coach Harold Strauss, has decided to be more deliberate in his decision and elected not to commit to BYU on Wednesday, though he is leaning toward the Cougars. Colton High School football player Daniel Sorensen has reversed field. Oh, he still likes Brigham Young University. A lot. But published reports that he was going to orally commit to BYU on Wednesday were premature, his mother Roxann Sorensen said Wednesday night. “It?s not that the writer jumped the gun,” Roxann said. “BYU is still his top priority. But after talking to (Strauss), Daniel has decided to meet with the coaches and see exactly what the offer is before committing. But he?s still 95 percent sure he?s going to BYU.” Strauss said Sorensen would meet with the BYU coaches either at spring break or on BYU?s Junior Day in June. Sorensen, a calhisports.com all-state and All-Sun player, has also received scholarship offers from the University of Mississippi and Duke. His teammate, tight end/defensive end Damien Holmes has also received offers from Mississippi and Duke. Sorensen is a 6-foot-2, 215-pound free safety/wideout who was the San Andreas League Offensive Player of the Year last season. center_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

SENATOR BRIAN O DOMHNAILL LEFT HOSPITALISED AFTER ROW OVER A BAG OF CHIPS

first_imgA row over a bag of chips led to Fianna Fail Senator Brian O Domhnaill being hospitalised after he was attacked on a bus.The row erupted over a bag of chips.The politician was one of a number of passengers on a late night bus leaving off passengers around West Donegal. However a row broke out on the bus leaving Senator O Domhnaill receiving a blow to the head for which he later received eight stitches in hospital.Letterkenny Circuit Court heard today how a lot of drink was taken by many of those who had got on the bus heading to Gaoth Dobhair on August 22nd, 2010.Before the court was construction manager Cathal O’Donovan who pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Mr O Domhnaill.Defense barrister Sean MacAoidh said there was a certain bartering system going on as O’Donovan and his friend, who were both married to two local sisters, were getting on the bus.He claimed Mr O Domhnaill had tried to get a takeaway but the chip shop had been closed.However Mr O’Donvan, 45, and another man had managed to get some chips and that Mr O Domhnaill had said he would get them onto the bus and have them left home in return for food.O’Donovan pleaded guilty of assaulting Senator O Domhnaill.However, Mr O’Domhaill denied this ever happened, the court was told.A general altercation took place after O’Donovan, who is originally from Cork but living in London, and his friend were taken off the bus.O’Donovan managed to get back on the bus and struck Senator O Domhnaill, of Killult, Falcarragh, on the head.It was also claimed that Senator O’Domhnaill tried to kick the accused through a sliding door on the bus.Garda Sgt Rory Harrison said he interviewed bus driver Joe Alcorn who said O’Donovan, of 8 Milner Walk, New Eltham, London, and his friend were acting in a very aggressive manner on the night.Defense barrister Sean MacAoidh said O’Donovan was due to be dropped off at a house they were staying in locally while attending a christening.However the bus passed by the house leaving the bus a long distance away from where they were staying.Gardai interviewed O’Donovan the following day but he initially denied the assault.He also suffered a broken nose and two black eyes, according to his barrister.Mr MacAoidh said his client had no previous convictions and was a father of one with another child on the way in London where he lived.He said he was not proud of his actions but that it had occurred in a certain context when a lot of drink was taken by many involved.Judge Matthew Deery asked if O’Donovan had any money he could offer by way of compensation to the injured man.A sum of €1,000 was offered which was accepted by Judge Deery.He also imposed an 18 months jail sentence on O’Donovan which he suspended for two years and also ordered him to keep the peace for that time.SENATOR BRIAN O DOMHNAILL LEFT HOSPITALISED AFTER ROW OVER A BAG OF CHIPS was last modified: July 15th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ASSAULT CAUSING HARMCathal O’DonovanchipsdonegalLETETRKENNY CIRCUIT COURTSENATOR BRIAN O DOMHNAILLtaxilast_img read more

Why overachieving Tottenham aren’t ‘bottlers’ – opinion from a Chelsea fan

first_imgThis weekend’s Premier League banter involved labelling Tottenham bottlers for failing to close the gap on title leaders Chelsea to one point with defeat to West Ham on Friday night.It’s the solitary result of note the Hammers have recorded all season, but rather than focus on the embarrassment of their debut year at the London Stadium, all the attention has been on their opponents.Even more remarkable than Leicester City’s triumph last term was the stick Tottenham – not Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City or Chelsea received – for failing to pip the Foxes to top spot. And 12 months later, again Spurs and ‘bottle job’ are being spoken of in the same sentence.It’s a label that fits the narrative in English football of finding a team to belittle and one that, even as a Chelsea fan, I can admit doesn’t deserve to be associated with the north London outfit.Mauricio Pochettino, the Tottenham manager, has respectably sniggered in the face of Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp and Arsene Wenger this season, once more overachieving with a squad of the lowest value of any of the top six and a squad of the youngest average age of any top flight club.Spurs have been the only team to keep pace with Chelsea at the top of the table. Liverpool have bottled it. Manchester City have bottled it. Manchester United have bottled it. Arsenal have bottled it. But Tottenham? They’ve been brilliant.Golden Boot contender Harry Kane has had two separate spells on the sidelines in both halves of the season. Toby Alderweireld has missed eight games. Danny Rose has been limited to 18 appearances through injury.So Spurs, with a number of key players to adapt without, have still secured Champions League football – a feat which would have been their primary target when making preparations in pre-season – and have done so in awe-inspiring style, scoring 71 goals and conceding a league best of just 23.Chelsea, conversely, have been at full strength in almost every game, certainly since their change in setup in October. And when Antonio Conte, the Blues manager, has been forced to make changes in personnel, his team have stuttered, with defeats to Crystal Palace and Manchester United coming when Victor Moses and Marcos Alonso – imperative to the balance of their 3-4-2-1 – have been absent.Winning the title – let alone competing for it – would not have been high on Tottenham’s realistic aims for the campaign when assessing the quality of recruitment completed by their rivals over the summer.They’ve taken this season game by game and, like Newcastle United in 1995/96, will be remembered among the most entertaining teams to (likely) miss out on the title.In what is essential to any manager, they’ve showed obvious progression from last term and for the first time in 22 years are confirmed to finish above fierce rivals Arsenal – by a country mile.And it’s not all over yet. Tottenham are far from deserving of the label ‘bottlers’ 1last_img read more

AC Milan snub £53million bid from Wolves for midfielder

first_img RANKED IN DEMAND The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star 1 Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signing LATEST Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer moving on Wolverhampton Wanderers have had a stunning £53million bid for AC Milan star Franck Kessie, according to CalcioMercato.The Ivorian ace joined the Italian giants last summer from Atalanta on a two year loan with an obligation to buy but is already the subject of interest to several clubs. TOP WORK Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland targets Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade And Wolves attempted to prise the player away with deal comprised of an initial £35million fee and a further £18million in add-ons.But AC Milan and the player have rejected the move.The club have told Kessie he is central to their future plans and will be one of their main men, which the player has taken well.And he’s also keen on furthering his career under manager Gennaro Gattuso, who he feels can improve him. LIVING THE DREAM Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father AC Milan star Franck Kessie in action against Tottenham Hotspur. Latest Transfer News REVEALED three-way race Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January targets last_img read more