Suspended Cllr. Gibson’s Lawyers: “Our Client Was Broke”

first_imgCllr. Charles Gibson (middle) has been dropped from the Justice Ministry nominationLawyers representing Justice Minister designate Charles Gibson in a Petition to restore his status as Counselor at-law have told Justices of the Supreme Court that their client had until recently been unable to restitute Anwar A. Saoud’s US$25,400 because he was broke, not having earned income since his suspension by the Court about one-year ago.In response to questions about Gibson’s prolonged delay to honor the Supreme Court’s mandate, Counselor Emmanuel James, lead lawyer for the accused said his client’s belated payment of Saoud’s US$25,000 was not due to any privy information that he would be appointed Justice Minister by President Weah but rather to his client’s state of penury (impoverishment). He said his client had to rally with his colleagues and friends to raise the amount in order to satisfy the ruling of the court.Gibson reportedly made the payment to Saoud on January 17, 2018, just six days before President Weah nominated him to serve as the country’s new Minister of Justice.The Supreme Court also reinstated his license that was suspended on February 24, 2017, which had since then barred him from practicing law.Gibson was suspended from practicing law in the country for two months on February 24, 2017 by the Supreme Court based on findings of the Grievance and Ethics Committee of the Bar.The committee had charged him for misleading his client on whose behalf he had instituted a series of lawsuits to recover loans and other obligations from his customers. But Gibson was unable to account for the US$25,400 he had earlier collected.The Supreme Court ordered him to refund Saoud’s US$25,400 within two months as of the date of the judgment on February 24 2017.He was also asked to send copy of the receipt of payment to the Court Marshall and failure on his part as specified by the judgment warranted his suspension remaining in full and effect, until he fully complied with the order, which he only did on January 17, 2018.Up to present, it appears that President Weah’s nomination of Cllr. Gibson to head the Justice Ministry stills stands, as the President has issued no official statement on his nominee’s current suspension from practice by the Supreme Court of Liberia.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Motorcyclist to undergo surgery

first_imgECD collisionFollowing a late night collision on the East Coast of Demerara (ECD) on Sunday between a minibus and a motorcyclist, the injured man is expected to undergo surgery while the minibus driver was released on bail. According to information reaching Guyana Times, the driver of the minibus – a Blossom Housing Scheme, Enmore, ECD resident – was released on $40,000 bail on Monday evening while the motorcyclist, Eon Persaud, 35, owner of motorcycle CF 222, is still hospitalised at the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC).This publication was told that Persaud is expected to undergo surgery for the injuries he sustained to his leg. The injured man after regaining consciousness after the accident told investigators that he was proceeding West on the northern side of Industry Railway Embankment, ECD, around 23:30h when the minibus driver swerved out of his lane to overtake another vehicle, thus colliding with hisThe minibus involved in the accidentmotorcycle and throwing him into the air.The bus driver’s story however differed, as he told Police that he was proceeding West on the southern side of Industry Railway Embankment when the motorcycle “came out of nowhere” and collided with the right side of his bus.As a result of the collision, the cyclist fell to the roadway but was picked up and rushed to the GPHC in an unconscious state.Based on information received, the man sustained injuries to his right leg and hand. Meanwhile, the driver of the minibus who passed a breathalyser test is continuing to assist with the investigations.last_img read more

Huskies edge Kings in OT, book ticket to NWJHL finals

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John Huskies are off to the NWJHL finals after defeating the Grande Prairie JDA Kings in overtime in Game 5 on Tuesday night.The Huskies ended up losing their captain Jarod Lang early in the game after being slew-footed and hitting the ice head first early in the first period. At the first intermission, the game remained scoreless.It was the visitors who opened the scoring midway through the middle frame but it would be shortlived as three minutes later Nolan Legace accepted a pass from Jared Loewen, skated down the right wing and wired a shot bar down to even the score at 1-1. Even after outshooting the Kings 29-14 after 40 minutes of play the game still remained deadlocked.- Advertisement -The Kings scored with 9:00 left to play in the third stanza on the power play to retake a lead that was once again shortlived as Gary Loewen took a Geoff Dick saucer pass and wired a wrister past the visiting netminder’s earhole to even the score at twos. After sixty minutes of action, both teams were tied 2-2 and sudden death overtime was needed to decide a winner.At 2:57 of the extra frame Matthew Apsassin collected a loose puck behind the Kings net, skated out in front and fired a shot that bounced off the goalie’s pad and rolled into the empty cage as the Pups bench clearly in a hurry and mauled an ecstatic Apsassin.Zak Babbin made 22 of 24 saves for the Huskies while the home side fired 47 rubber biscuits on the Kings goaltender.Advertisement “We played a great game,” said head coach Todd Alexander. “We out-chanced them by a two to one margin. By the third period they flipping pucks into the neutral zone and waiting to jump on an error by our defenceman, but we weren’t having any of it. We lost a couple of guys in the series to injury, but we kid some well-deserved rest.”“It feels amazing,” added goaltender Babbin. “I haven’t been up here for that long as it seems like yesterday they called me up from Surrey. I was thrown into the playoffs and I’m happy that I helped the team move into the finals. Surreal feeling.”The Huskies win the series 4-1.The Huskies now await the winner of Dawson Creek Jr. Canucks and North Peace Navigators. The Jr. Canucks lead the series 3-2 with Game 6 set for Wednesday.Advertisementlast_img read more

Halos have ally in case of Matthews

first_imgIt’s been nearly two weeks since allegations surfaced that Matthews purchased HGH from a pharmacist under investigation by the FBI, and Matthews has done nothing to shed any light on his involvement – or non-involvement. To say the Angels are annoyed is an understatement. They want Matthews to come clean so they can move forward from the whole ordeal, and his refusal to do so has steadily raised their frustration level. Moreno, growing more angry every day, is pushing for some sort of resolution by Opening Day. In the meantime, team officials have reportedly discussed everything from a suspension to outright voiding the five-year, $50 million contract Matthews signed during the offseason. But they’re stuck until Matthews speaks up. Hence their escalating level of irritation. Moreno has an ally in Selig, who dropped by the Angels’ training facility Saturday and offered total support. TEMPE, Ariz. – Baseball commissioner Bud Selig and Angels owner Arte Moreno stood shoulder to shoulder Saturday inside the press box at Tempe Diablo Stadium. Literally and figuratively. “Arte and I are absolutely on the same page,” Selig said. “I’ve read all of Arte’s comments and I’ve talked to Arte. I can say there isn’t a (bit) of difference between our positions.” Matthews was given the day off by manager Mike Scioscia, and was dressed and gone by the time the Angels played the Mariners. For Scioscia, it was another day fielding questions about his new center fielder, and he too is hoping for an imminent resolution. “Anytime something like this happens, silence is a distraction,” Scioscia said. “I know Gary’s got something to say and we hope he says it soon.” Selig agrees. “Whenever we have issues after all we have been through with (steroids), I have very serious concerns,” he said. “This sport needs to move away from all of this.” Matthews is holding that process up, firmly entrenched in a self-imposed cone of silence as his lawyers and public relations people sort through their options. Meanwhile, the rest of baseball stews. “I believe, naive as some people may think, that (baseball) is a social institution,” Selig said. “Every one of us, when there is something that happens like this, we all have a responsibility.” Selig dispatched three investigators this week to Albany as part of his own inquiry, and said they’re working closely with federal investigators. He wouldn’t divulge any results from their efforts, and said any disciplinary action against Matthews at this point will come from the Angels, not his office. “This is an on-going investigation, and I don’t want to do anything that gets in the way,” Selig said. “That’s up to (the Angels).” Pen-tasticDarren Oliver knows a good bullpen when he sees one. And the Angels have a potentially great one, according to the veteran left-hander. “All the pieces are definitely there,” Oliver said,. Oliver was a big part of a dominant bullpen last year with the New York Mets, serving a long-relief role and finishing with 4-1 record and a 3.44 ERA over 81 innings. He probably won’t log as many innings with the Angels, but his role will be no less significant. Oliver is expected to be the Angels’ primary left-handed specialist, to go along with Scott Shields, Francisco Rodriguez among others. “I don’t like to compare bullpens much, but it’s pretty clear the potential is here to do some big things,” Oliver said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!center_img On the field below, the Angels played the Seattle Mariners. Upstairs a different contest was taking place, this one the on-going waiting game between embattled Angels outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. and the rest of baseball. last_img read more

DONEGAL’S EXILED GAA STARS TO GRACE ARSENAL AND CHELSEA’S ‘GROUND’

first_imgIf it’s good enough for the likes of millionaire soccer stars Robin Van Persie and Frank Lampard to play on, then it’s good enough for many of Donegal’s exiled GAA players.More than 300 tons of top soil from two of the world’s biggest soccer clubs has been used to resurface London’s famous GAA club, Tir Chonaill Gaels.The deal was struck by Irish businessman Michael Crossan who owns PowerDay Recycling Company. Michael has connections with both Chelsea FC and Arsenal FC and regular supplies them with top soil when they are reseeding their pitch.Now the businessman, who is also a sponsor of Tir Chonaill Gaels, has literally brought the GAA team a new playing surface fit for superstars.The club is home to many well-known Donegal players including Letterkenny’s Brian McBrearty and now Ciaran Bonner who transferred from Glenswilly recently.The ground, Tir Chonaill Park in Greenford, has been closed for the past number of weeks while the reseeding took place. But now chairman of the club Tom Mohan, who is originally from Frosses, says it’s almost ready to be used.“Mick Crossan has been very good to us. He does more than just write cheques for us.“This is the best quality top soil you will find anywhere in the world and now we’ll be playing on it.“Grounds such as Chelsea and Arsenal reseed their grounds every three years and we have been lucky to benefit from it.“Who knows – we might even start scoring a few more goals because it’s was used on a soccer pitch. Just as long as the lads don’t think they’re Frank Lampard and look for his wages,” laughed Tom. Estate agent Tom said Ireland and Donegal’s loss has been London’s gain with hundreds of GAA players now transferring from clubs across Ireland to London.“Since the 3rd of January we have transferred 28 players and I know there are more than 500 players who have transferred to various clubs around England in recent months.“It’s unfortunate that has to be the case but it’s a fact of life that lots of young men are looking for work.“We will try and find them work over here and if they can play football then even better,” he said. DONEGAL’S EXILED GAA STARS TO GRACE ARSENAL AND CHELSEA’S ‘GROUND’ was last modified: April 12th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:LondonTir Chonaill Gaelslast_img read more