EBD man to serve jail time for selling ganja

first_imgA 42-year-old resident of Grove, East Bank Demerara, was sentenced to two and a half years’ imprisonment and fined $50,000 by Magistrate Faith McGusty when he appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates Courts on Wednesday.Alex Pickett, a miner, pled guilty to the charge which alleged that on June 9, 2019, at Ebini Backdam, Mazaruni, Region 7 (Cuyuni-Mazaruni), he had in his possession 81 grams of cannabis for the purpose of trafficking.The father of one told the court that “I went selling it, I working for the shopman who does give me drugs to sell.”Prosecutor Adduni Innis told the court that police ranks were on duty in the backdam, when they noticed the defendant acting suspicious and as such, a search was conducted during which a black plastic bag was found in his possession.The black bag was subsequently inspected and the illegal plant was found. He was arrested and taken to the Bartica Police Station where he was charged.last_img read more

Dreher wins CN tour Event

first_imgFSJ’s Dreher wins Canadians Women’s Tour EventFort St. John’s Kirby Dreher has won the final CN Canadian Women’s Golf tour event of the season, at the Camelot Golf and Country Club near Ottawa.Dreher shot a 5 under par 67 to take a 4 shot lead into the final round on Wednesday.- Advertisement -Scores from Wednesday were not available at press time, but the win will give Dreher a sponsor’s exemption into the LPGA tour event in Ottawa in August.Dreher also finished second in the BC women’s amateur championships last month.Congratulations to KirbyAdvertisementlast_img

City Gives Fort Hotel Owner One Last Chance

first_imgThe City of Fort St. John says it’s giving the owner of the Fort Hotel one last chance to present a demolition plan to council before the city takes on the demolition itself. In a report to council, Director of Facilities and Protective Services Jim Rogers said that the city has been “imminently patient” with the owner, who has failed to present a valid demolition plan despite a deadline last month. Rogers says he no longer feels confident that the property owner is being upfront with his plans for the property, which may now include preserving a part of the building for an unknown purpose. On September 8th, city council passed a resolution that demanded owner Michael Seo and his consultants attend the October 14th council meeting with a complete demolition plan. Failing that, the city will begin working towards demolition the following day. – Advertisement -However, Rogers says the city hopes to come to a resolution with the property owner, as creating a new demolition plan from scratch will cost the city time and money. [asset|aid=237|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=Jim Rogers – Fort Hotel_1_Pub.mp3] If the city does have to undertake the demolition itself, the cost, which the city estimates to be between $250,000 and $400,000 dollars, will be borne by the city until the property is sold.last_img read more

Finance manager dodges jail time as it would disrupt plans of billion-Euro Donegal wind farm

first_imgIn Oxford, Deputy Circuit Judge Patrick Eccles (pictured above) delivered a suspended sentence to English finance manager Michael Chase-Sarver for perverting the course of justice after dodging a speeding fine by deceiving authorities.Chase-Sarver and business partner Noel Shortt have plans to open a billion-Euro wind farm in Carrickaduff which could potentially create 300 jobs by December 2017.Despite Judge Eccles’ belief that Chase-Sarver deserves to spend time behind bars, he delivered a suspended sentence as he did not want to jeopardize the opening of the wind farm as it would ruin job prospects for 300 ‘honest’ workers. Chase-Sarver repainted his car after being caught speeding, asking mechanics to backdate the job to seem as though it had always been that colour and then claimed that someone else had been using his number plate fraudulently.‘This is Oxfordshire’ reported that although Judge Eccles believes he ‘deserved’ to go to jail, he spared him the time behind bars following evidence given from Irish engineer and property developer Noel Shortt that Chase-Sarver’s stint in jail would ‘sink’ their plans for a billion-euro 35,000 acre wind farm in Donegal which will create 300 jobs.The 35,000 acre site was bought from more than 100 individual farmers.The business men hope to have the wind farm running by December 2017 at the latest in order to cash in on a government subsidy, meaning turbines would have to be ordered this November. Judge Eccles, clearly displeased by Chase-Sarver’s actions, called him “unbelievably dishonest”, however added that he could not “allow an honest man’s life and 300 potential jobs be ruined by his actions.”A Facebook page which is supported by over 1,000 people was made by concerned locals in Donegal who opposed the plans for the wind farm. They are  investigating the impact a wind farm may have on the local community from Castlefin, through the Finn Valley, Mourne Derg and on to Barnesmore Gap.Chase-Sarver was sentenced to a four month stint behind bars, along with a two year suspended sentence. A curfew was also imposed upon him, meaning he will have to be at his home between the hours of 6pm and 6am every day.Finance manager dodges jail time as it would disrupt plans of billion-Euro Donegal wind farm was last modified: September 24th, 2016 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:crickaduffEnglandjudge patrick ecclesmichael chase-sarvernoel shorttoxfordshirewind farmlast_img read more

Public questions City Hall plan

first_imgTo pay for it, the city could use $3 million in budget reserves, a $3 million bond and $1.5 million expected from the sale of City Hall. The city would service the bond payments through its budget, Bates said. “The last project I had the opportunity to work on was under budget and on time,” he said, responding to Quade. “In my opinion, it is one of the nicest facilities in Orange County. It happens to be The Pond. I can’t guarantee anything, but I do have some experience.” But some residents remained skeptical. “I just hope you’re not playing games and will tax us later,” Michelle Harencames said. Resident Jerry Shipman questioned why officials picked a location north of City Hall for the new administrative center and fire station. He said it would be cheaper to build at the existing site. “Why do we want to spend the money to move up there, rather than doing something here? It’s not a question of whether we can afford \, it’s should we spend \,” he said. Bates said the City Hall and fire station both need to be torn down. Both buildings have asbestos in floors and ceilings and City Hall has termites. Also, electrical wiring is out of compliance with code. And the roof leaks, he said. “Whenever we move a piece of equipment, it usually blows the wiring and we have to bring in an electrician,” he said. “We have a plunger as permanent decor in our restrooms so we can keep the plumbing working. This is a tear-down.” The fire station is in no better condition, fire Chief John Nielsen said. “We also consider it as a tear-down,” he said. Besides, he added, firefighters still need a home base while a new station is being built. “What are we going to do, operate the Fire Department from Starbucks?” he asked. “We’d need to be relocated while something new is being built. That is at least $250,000 in relocation. The best way is for us to move into a new building.” One resident said he supported Bates’ plans. “It was very logical and made sense to me,” said John Beau. mike.sprague@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LA HABRA HEIGHTS – City Manager Ronald Bates told residents the city can build a new City Hall and fire station for $7.4 million and it won’t cost them a dime in new taxes.Yeah, right, said residents. “I haven’t ever seen a project in this city brought in on time and on budget,” said Stan Quade. At a meeting with about 60residents this week, Bates outlined his plans calling for spending about $7.4 million to construct the two facilities at the southwest corner of Hacienda and West roads. last_img read more